Friday 16 September 2011

Object vs Non-object

Reading some critiques of Anish Kapoor's work this week started me thinking about the relationship between objects and space.  I have been interested in typology as away of relating my work to shared experience, each typology containing the essence of our cultural knowledge reference back to the type makes the work comprehensible.  More recently I have been interested in researching typologies of space, as space itself as a cultural construct is evolving and has a history we can all access. 

Kapoor's work which has been described as material becoming object and a non-object has made me analyse my own position in respect to the object.  I am not interested in creating the object itself but rather in the relationship which the new object is made to have with its surrounds.  This way of working goes beyond understanding context and working within a historic continuum which is common way of looking at design in Italian and European architecture, the work I am interested in pursuing is the actual relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment